That's our CREED above, but it's not who we are: We are United States Submarine Sailors! We were, and are, members of the elite fighting force of the United States Navy. We are all QUALIFIED IN SUBMARINES.
Included are submariners from the very early boats: S, R or earlier: WWII boats; post-war GUPPY boats and FBM and Fast Attack submariners. All Qualified in Submarines - from E2 to 4 Stars. Retired, short timer, or active duty - it makes no difference.
If you are Qualified in Submarines we want you in United States Submarine Veterans Inc. We have 131 local Bases (chapters) in 48 of the 50 states and three Internet bases. Our members are from every state in the Union. In addition to the regional and district meetings throughout the year we also hold a National Convention in a different city every year. 2007 is a Cruise to Alaska from Seattle, 2008 is in Fort Worth, TX., and 2009 is in San Diego.
If you want to learn submarine history from the people who wrote it, tell or hear sea stories from Pre-WWII, WWII, Korea, VN, Cold War or right now, USSVI is the place to do it. If you want to find shipmates, plan or attend a boat reunion, eat, drink, or just share a common bond that never goes away, USSVI is the place. Many submarine memorials around the country are maintained by our members and more are being installed every year. A new USSVI Memorial Library was started in No. Little Rock, AR. by Ron Martini and the Museum staff there including Greg Zonner a member of the Razorback Base and the man most responsible for getting the Razorback back from Turkey who is now Executive Director of Ark. Inland Maritime Museum (AIMM), and the other guy there is Greg Stitz who is the museum curator and USSVI Webmaster.
A Brief History of the Base:
In 2001 I wrote and contacted by email some 50 guys I had information on and tried to get them interested in a base at that time. I called a meeting in Casper at the VFW hall after a SubVetsWWII meeting of which I am an associate member. I had only 5 guys show up of which 3 were WWII guys from the morning meeting and two others. Bill Seid and Phil Cole of Casper. Just not enough to get it going but the seed was planted.
In the meantime I commanded Lockwood Interent Base and took it to a current level of 232 members since I and 6 other gents started it in 1997. But my heart was always with my home state and finally I decided to make some calls and if I could just 6-7 I would open it up. I got 14 the first day. I had to rob Lockwood Base of 5 Primary members but the net for USSVI is the same. USSVI has a rule that you cannot command two Bases at one time. This was born about 6 years ago due to conflicts with snowbirds. But that's fine. I had a great crew and staff at Lockwood and I'll drop down to their Vice Commander.
I designed a base patch one day and wrote this page the next. Being retired and only play a poor game of golf, I have lots
of time to devote to our project. Now I see snow on the Big Horns which means my golf is over for 2007 and I'll have a lot of
time to dedicate to the Base.
Our official Base cap is
Organization of USSVI
131 Bases in 3 Regions (East, Central, West)and each with a Regional Director. West Region is our location and Dave Harnish out of Arizona is our Regional Director.
Each Region broken down into several Districts. We are in the Western District #3 with Chuck Riley as our District Commander and the guy the Base Commanders Report to.
Our District includes Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. There are 3 bases in Idaho, one in Montana (the oldest base in our District) and ourselves now in Wyoming.
Our current WD3 (Western District 3)Commander is: Chuck Riley of the Boise Base.
Idaho has 3 Bases including one in the Idaho Falls/Pocatello/Twin Falls area, another in Boise and another in the Coeur d'Alene area.
There are only two states without Bases. Those are West Virginia and Alaska.
Wyoming Base had it's first meeting on September 22 at the Petroleum Club in Casper with 14 present. The Base currently has 27 members and another coming in from Sheridan and another from Upton. The next meeting is set for Powell in April.
We also sell a patch to the world. This is a nice gold thread 4" diameter patch that sells for
$7 to the public but for Base members it is $5.
11. SECTION 2. LAND FORCES UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THE NAVY WILL
12. CONSIST OF THE "RIVER BANK PATROL" AND WILL BE EMPOWERED BY THIS CHARTER
13. TO ENLIST ALL FIT SUBJECTS.
14. SECTION 3. THE AIR FORCE OF THE NAVY WILL CONSIST OF THREE HIGH
15. ALTITUDE KITES, SIX BALLOONS (OF THE SMALL SIZE) AND ONE OBSERVATION
16. TOWER (WINDMILL LOCATED ON THE OLD LEWIS PLACE).
17. SECTION 4. THE HOME BASE OF THE POWDER RIVER NAVY WILL BE LOCATED
18. AT THE INTERECTION OF I-90 AND THE POWDER RIVER.
19. SECTION 5. THIS CHARTER WILL CREATE A GERM WARFARE SECTION TO
20. CONSIST OF TWO USED MANURE SPREADERS.
21. SECTION 6. FINANCES FOR THE NAVY WILL BE FURNISHED BY THE OSHOTO
22. STATE BANK AND THIS CHARTER WILL ENABLE THE NAVY TO MAKE ALL THE NECESSARY
23. FINANCIAL ARRANGEMENTS TO CONTINUE THE SURVEILANCE OF THE STATE BORDERS.
24. SECTION 7. THE NAVY WILL CONFINE ITSELF TO NAVIGABLE WATERS WITHIN
25. THE CONFINES OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES.
26. SECTION 8. THIS CHARATER WILL EMPOWER THE POWEDER RIVER NAVY TO
27. MAKE SNEAK ATTACKS ON ANY STATE IN THE UNION OR ANY LOCALITY IN THE UNION
28. WHEN IN THE EYES OF THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF WYOMING AN ATTACK IS
30. SECTION 9. THIS CHARTER WILL GIVE THE POWDER RIVER NAVY RIGHT-OF-
31. WAY OVER PRIVATE, STATE AND FEDERAL LANDS WHEN PORTAGE FROM ONE RIVER TO
32. ANOTHER IS NECESSARY OR DEEMED PERTINENT TO THE WELFARE OF THE STATE.
33. SECTION 10. THIS CHARTER WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR THE POWDER
34. RIVER NAVY TO REGISTER ITS GUNS WITH THE IRS AND WILL FURTHER GIVE THEM
35. RIGHTS OVER ANY AND ALL FEDERAL LAWS, DICTATES, NOTIONS, MATCHING FUNDS
36. OR ANY OTHER CONCEIVABLE IDEA COMING FROM A FEDERAL BUREAU.
37. SECTION 11. THIS CHARTER WILL PROVIDE FOR AN AUDIT OF THE POWDER
38. RIVER NAVY ABOOKS WHICH WILL BE MADE EVERY TEN YEARS ON THE 23RD OF JANUARY
39. OF THE TENTH YEAR.
40. SECTION 12. THIS CHARTER WILL EMPOWER THE POWDER RIVER NAVY TO
41. CAPTURE AND HOLD SLAVE RIVER BORDER RANCHERS AND FARMERS, FOR THE PURPOSE
42. OF ROWING WHEN WIND OR SHALLOW WATER MAKES CONVENTION POWER INADEQUATE.
43. SECTION 13. THIS CHARTER WILL EMPOWER THE GOVERNOR TO FORCEABLY
44. SOLICIT WORKERSL FROM THE URBAN AREAS TO HELP IN PORTAGE.
45. SECTION 14. THE FLAG OF THE POWDER RIVER NAVY SHALL CONSIST OF A
46. TWO INCH BORDER OF BLUE, A TWO INCH BORDER OF WHITE. WITHIN THE WHITE AREA
47. BORDER OF RED WITHIN THAT, ON A BACKGROUND OF WHITE. WITHIN IN THE WHITE AREA
48. ARE TO BE TWO CROSSED MAGPIES PERCHING ON TWIGS OF PINE IN THE CENTER. ABOVE
49. THE MAGPIES ARE THE WORDS "POWDER RIVER" AND BELOW THE MAGPIES THE WORD
50. "NAVY." LETTER IS TO BE BLUE.
51. SECTION 15. THIS CHARTER WILL EMPOWER THE POWDER RIVER NAVY, DURING
52. AN ALL-OUT ATTACK, OR WHEN FUNDS AT THE OSHOTO STATE BANK ARE AT A DANGEROUSLY
53. LOW LEVEL, TO ENFORCE A SIX CENT TAX ON ALL CHURCH HYMNALS.
54. SECTION 16. THIS CHARTER WILL HOLD REINS ON THE POWDER RIVER NAVY
55. AND DECLARE AS OUT-OF-BOUNDS, THREE AREAS OF THE UNITED STATES. ONE, THE
56. GOVERNOR'S MANSION; TWO, THE WHITE HOUSE IN WASHINGTON D.C.; AND THE
57. AREA AROUND FORT KNOX.....UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.
58. SECTION 17. APRIL FIRST OF EACH YEAR SHALL BE KNOWN AS "POWDER RIVER
59. NAVY DAY" IN THE STATE OF WYOMING. IT BEING THE DAY THIS CHARTER TAKES AFFECT. SIGNED: STANLEY HATHAWAY, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF WYOMING
ADDENDUM: THE CITY OF SHERIDAN, WYOMING DO HEREBY REQUEST THE POWDER RIVER NAVY TO FURNISH SUCH
PROTECTIVE CARE AND SURVELEILANCE AT ALL TIMES SO THAT OUR GOOD CITIZENS MAY EXIST IN PEACE
AND COMFORT AS THOUGH THEY WERE IN THEIR MOTHER'S ARMS. SIGNED AND ATTESTED TO BY MAYOR BERNARD
WILSON, 6 COUNCIMEN, CITY MANAGER, CITY ATTORNEY AND CITY CLERK.